Debating in English
For all of you who prefer debating in English, especially for students from abroad, we offer English debates in the format British Parliamentary Style (BPS). Before the actual debate one of our club members will give an introductory workshop related to the evening’s debating motion, which may serve as a starting point for your search for arguments.
You are a beginner and have little or no experience in debating? No problem: On the 26th of October this workshop will be a general introduction into the format BPS to prepare you for your first debate. After this kickoff, there will be a debate every two weeks, taking place in room D 1088. The workshop will start at 06:30 p.m., the actual debate will follow up at 07:15 p.m.
To wrap things up, here’s a summary of dates and workshop topics:
· 26th of October (kickoff): Introduction to BPS for beginners
· 9th of November: Market failure - When and how are legislative organs to take action?
· 23rd of November: Global hotspots and conflicts
· 7th of December: Crime and Punishment: Between Retribution and Deterrence
· 21st of December: Feminism - Empowering women?
· 11th of January: No workshop
· 25th of January: Power Structures in the Information Era
· 8th of February: Last Debate of the Semester
Looking forward to seeing you!